Gas appliances are very important in heating, cooking and lighting but needs to be used in a safe manner to prevent unsafe and dangerous occurrence. The common used gas appliance in the UK are boilers, cookers and gas fires.
Four Steps you can take to protect your home or building from gas related hazards
- Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm
carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas. It is difficult to detect because it has no colour, taste or smell. It is a byproduct of incomplete burning of fuels like gas, coal, wood and charcoal indoor due to lack of oxygen required for complete combustion.
Breathing in carbon monoxide can kill you. Even in less serious cases, it can lead to long-term health problems. Some of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are: Feeling short of breath, Mild nausea, confusion, feeling extremely tired, mild headaches, abdominal pains, sore throat and a dry cough.
An audible carbon monoxide alarm works like a smoke alarm: you can fit one to your ceiling and it will go off if it detects carbon monoxide. This can be a life safer – they normally cost between £20 and £45
2. Have your gas appliances – Boiler, fire, heater and cooker checked regularly by a Gas safe registered engineer
If you think a gas appliance might not be working properly, stop using it straightaway and get it checked by a qualified gas safe engineer
3. Don’t block ventilation
To stay safe always ensure adequate ventilation is maintained and do not block ventilation specially when using gas appliances. In the event of gas leak or carbon monoxide poisoning open doors and windows to let air circulate.
Also learn to spot the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and leak
4. What to do if you think you’ve got a gas leak
- Put out any naked flames including cigarettes
- Don’t switch any electrical appliances on or off including light switches
- Open doors and windows to let air circulate
- Turn off any gas appliance you think might be causing the leak
- Keep people away from the area
- Turn off your gas meter if it is safe to do so
If you smell gas or you need to report a gas explosion or fire in the UK – call the National Gas Emergency Services helpline straightaway free on 080011999.
For free advice on Property purchase, energy savings and more visit www.deneco.co.uk