Birmingham worst hit city in UK by Storm Ciara

An insurance giant has seen a 285 per cent surge in calls and claims as it helps to repair the damage caused by Storm Ciara – with Birmingham one of the worst-hit cities.

Claims included property damage such as loose tiles and broken windows, as well as flooding.

Andrew Morrish, UK claims director for Aviva, said: “Storm Ciara is unusual in that it has affected a wide area and so far we’ve seen an increase of around 285 per cent in telephone calls and claims, compared to January.

See the source image

“Customers are able to contact us in a number of ways and around 10 per cent of people have made a claim using our online claims facility.

Mr Morrish said: “This means that around 12 per cent of customers have already received payments.”

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) has advised people facing damage or flooding to contact their insurer as soon as possible.

Many insurers have 24-hour emergency helplines and they may be able to arrange temporary emergency repairs to stop any damage getting worse.

The ABI advises keeping any receipts which may be used to support a claim and not rushing to throw away damaged items unless they are a danger to health, as they may be repaired or restored.

Comprehensive motor insurance covers the cost of repairing or replacing vehicles damaged by storms.

Source: Birmingham Live 

Pls Comment, like and share

Thinking of buying a property?

Need help with residential and commercial property purchase/finance in the UK from start to finish, Please Contact me

Selling or renting your property in Greater Manchester? Get same day EPC for £45 only

Dennis Bebo – MSC, BSC, DEA, CeMAP

TA DenEco Consultancy –

Essential tips on empty property

When a property is unoccupied – between tenants, awaiting sale, or the resident is absent for any reason, it is expected that the property will be exposed to greater level of risk than any other time.

Below are some few tips that can help;

  • Security – Review and implement adequate security measures and remove valuables
  • Water supply – To avoid the risk of freezing causing serious damage, systems should be drained down and the water switched off at the stopcock. Alternatively, the central heating system be active 24 hours per day (not timed) at a minimum of 15 degrees centigrade. If possible, the water should still be switched off at the stopcock (note – some boilers work on mains pressure, making this impractical). If any water is stored in the loft, the access hatch should be left open part way, allowing warm air to circulate in the loft space.
  • Water tank – Ensure it is kept warm or emptied
  • Regular visit – Inspect the property as often as possible
  • Gas and electricity – Ensure Gas and electricity are switched off at the mains if not in use.
  • Maintenance – Keep the property and grounds tidy
  • Insurance – If you don’t tell your insurer that the property is empty, at best the cover under your policy may be restricted. At worst be invalidated completely, leaving you totally uninsured. Many insurers will refuse to provide further cover, some may continue but with severe restrictions. There are specialist insurance companies that offer unoccupied property  insurance.


Thinking of buying a property?

Need help with property investment in the UK from start to finish, Please Contact me

Dennis Bebo – MSC, BSC, DEA, CeMAP

TA DenEco Consultancy –

Property Purchase: What is Indemnity insurance and do I need it?

In a UK property purchase, Indemnity insurance is used during conveyancing transactions to cover some sort of legal defect with the property which can’t be resolved swiftly, or at all. For example if there is a relatively obscure legal problem such as a problem with the deeds with virtually no chance anyone is going to make it a problem in reality, but to sort it out means going to the other party involved and can make the process very expensive, very slow or impossible. It is a one-off payment for a policy that then lasts forever

In these sort or cases an indemnity insurance policy is ideal – should the unusual problem ever show its face then you are covered by the policy. If you’re offered such a policy, its important to bear in mind what it does or doesn’t cover. For example, a policy in respect of missing Building regulations will not cover the cost of doing the work properly, but only the cost of following through any action taken by the local authority – if they don’t take any action and they won’t after the works have been up for a year then you won’t be able to claim. Your legal adviser can advise on the policy for you.


For property investment in the UK from start to finish, Please Contact me

Dennis Bebo – MSC, BSC, DEA, CeMAP

TA DenEco Consultancy –

How to claim for Home Insurance: the three golden rules

Home insurance is there to give you financial support if the worst happens. So if you need to claim, its important that you know what to do.

1. Read the policy carefully

To start with, when you receive the policy document read it carefully to know exactly what you are covered for, any limits or exclusions, and the steps you need to make a claim. For example, if you have been burgled, you will be expected to notify the police as soon as possible. And if anything is unclear, talk to your insurer.

2. Inform your insurer as soon as possible, if you need to claim

As soon as you think you need to claim, tell your insurer. The sooner they know, the sooner they can get your claim moving. If, for example, your home has been damage by fire or flood, arrange any temporary repairs to stop the damage from getting worst. Home buildings and contents policies will include a 24-hour emergency helpline service to give you advice and information.

3. Provide as much information as possible

The more detail information that you can give your insurer about the damage, and what you are claiming for the better.  When claiming for damage or lost items, wherever you have them, provide receipts and any valuations to substantiate your claim.

While insurance cannot guarantee that you will not suffer financial setbacks. It can ensure that any unexpected and unwelcome events will not leave you struggling financially. Home Insurance in particular is one of the very few products that you buy hoping you will never have to use it. But if the worst happens, it will turn out to be one of the best purchases you have ever made.

For property investment in the UK from start to finish, Please Contact me

Dennis Bebo – MSC, BSC, DEA, CeMAP

TA DenEco Consultancy –